Swedish m/1914 Mauser Carbine Bayonet
Introduced in 1894 for horseback and naval use, the m/94 carbine version of the 6.5x55mm Swedish Mauser did not originally come with a bayonet, but the cavalry, artillery and navy all demanded one, the navy even modifying a small number of rifles to accept the m/1867 yataghan bayonet in the interim. Prototypes were developed from around 1909, including a folding type, but were deemed unsatisfactory until the experimental model of 1913, which was trialled between 1913 and 1915, and adopted as the m/1914.
A new nose cap with a bayonet mount was introduced for the rifle at the same time. Some were also used by Swedish troops serving as UN peacekeepers in the Congo between 1960-64, fitted onto the C version of the Carl Gustaf m/45 submachine gun. The Royal Guards at Stockholm Palace still carry the m/94 carbine and bayonet today.
The blade is stamped at the ricasso with the maker’s mark ‘EJAB’ with an anchor, meaning the manufacturer Eskilstuna Jernmanufactur AB (Eskilstuna Iron Manufacturing, Inc). The tang of the blade and finial of the scabbard are both stamped with a crown inspection mark.
The blade is clean and bright, the scabbard, hilt and pommel are blued with only light wear to the blueing on raised edges. The wood scale grips are undamaged with only some small dents.